Monday, May 4, 2009

Coffee talk 5/04/09



































Pour your coffee and settle in, the coffee talk is about to begin...

Our Second Annual Cox Rhode Race was a huge success and a whole lot of fun. I always forget just how exciting a road race is until I get to the start. I'm usually cranky while I'm at home, deciding on breakfast, grousing about the route, getting my things together (which should be put together the night before but why make it easy?). It isn't until I get into my Jeep, turn on a CD and start to drive that I begin to settle. And once I meet up with the SistaZ, all my fears, anxiousness and crankiness seem to disappear and the excitement begins to build. As always its laughter from beginning to end, support throughout the entire race, and a friendship that just seems to grow stronger from year to year. How did we get so lucky?

Congratulations, job well done, great run just doesn't seem to carry the enthusiasm I'm looking for when I break into this particular coffee talk. Jill, Jen and Cher, I hope that you are as proud of yourselves as we are for completing that marathon yesterday.

Jill, you went into this race with a completely different mindset than you had during the week. I cannot believe you cranked out a time of 4:14 with a calf muscle that has made your life a living hell for the last month (or possibly more, you never know with you because you don't complain about anything unless its practically broken). Your determination from start to finish with this race was incredible and so impressive. As always, you enter into every race with a positive attitude and your enthusiasm is contagious. You bring so much to SistaZ. It is a bonus to run with you every week, not to mention fun and filled with conversation.

Jen, you are an amazing runner. For someone who has never run a marathon and THEN decided to run this one about...ummm...4 WEEKS AGO, I would say that you should be pretty darn pleased with yourself for throwing up a 4:20 time. Did you ever get that 18 mile run in prior to this race or did you just go out there Sunday with 13 miles under your belt. You have been so much fun to run with and have been setting the pace for us on Fridays. Always smiling, always ready for anything, I hope you want to continue running when you can on Friday mornings.

Cher, your race yesterday was outstanding. Not only did you post a 4:22 time, you trained relentlessly, by yourself, and were determined to cross that finish line. You have a tenacity that I envy and I know that I would not have been as disciplined as you to be training by myself for a marathon. My only regret is that our schedules didn't work out for this training period, but I really want to have you join us when you can. You are a terrific girl and I can't wait to see you at your first triathlon this summer. I promise that some of us SistaZ will be there to cheer you on.

Congratulations to Jane Coutu Poricelli for QUALIFYING for THE Boston Marathon. Not only did she qualify, she came 5 minutes under her qualifying time. I am thrilled for you, Jane. You were fantastic yesterday.

Congratulations to Megan King for completing the Providence Marathon in 4:07. Megan and Jill have been training together and together they ran. Hope to see you out on the road again soon, Megan.

Jane Sincere Morris, our lethal weapon, ran an 8:39 pace and completed her 1/2 marathon in 1:50. Not only that, she placed 21st out of 215 people in her age group. The woman is "a fab runner." Her strength and determination is unmatched. She is quiet but clearly a strong opponent to anyone that is running against her in any race at any distance. I knew she would be terrific.

Lisa Letourneau, you ran beautifully yesterday. 2:03 is nothing to sneeze at especially coming off a night shift and a rocking vacation in Jamaica. Sandy Pereira ran alongside Lisa and came in at 2:03 as well. She, too, prepared well for this race and ran it like a pro. Sandy felt Lisa was pacing her and Lisa felt Sandy was pacing her. Either way, the crossed that finish line like the champions they are.

Lynda Britt you are the new runner girl. No matter what race you run, you always do better each time. I love that you love it and are planning on your next race already. I want to see you train for a marathon and I know you could do it with ease. Did you forget about Mexico like I mentioned? If you do, come run in October. In fact, come run with us every week you can. I know its hard, but like Cher, I want to run with you as well. What's next on your racing schedule?

Mindi Kelley--girl, we don't see enough of you but that must be because your running here there and everywhere. Congratulations on a race well run! 2:17 is fantastic and I know your next race will be even better. When can you join us? The weather is getting warmer so that ought to make things a bit more enticing, don't you think? Would love to get together with you soon.

Courtnee Munson once again ran the Cox race with a quiet determination and is looking toward the future. Courtnee already has her sights on the Cape Cod race in October and plans to kick its ever loving route like no one's business. One of our strongest runners, Courtnee is now training in the pool, doing a little biking, and lifting in the weight room. Do I see a triathlon in her summer calendar.

Stacie Tracey, you are a machine. Congratulations on a terrific race and a terrific pace. You have worked so hard these last two months and its paid off in so many ways. You have come such a long way and its only going to get better from here. Strong in mind and body, you are such an asset to this team because you never give up. You're always out there, working hard and doing more than asked just to get better. I love you for it.

Lori Keough, I can't begin to thank you enough for coming out to run this crazy 5K. I only wish I could have found you after you finished. Did you run straight to your car? I, and everyone else, truly appreciates you coming to run yesterday. I know how busy your weekend was and it was so nice of you to set aside time to run with your SistaZ. And you were telling me you haven't run at all??? You ran 26:56 yesterday!!! You are incredible. Look out Maine, here she comes!

Chris Ross, you ran a terrific race yesterday and you seem to be back in the saddle when it comes to running and racing. All of your physical therapy paid off and now you can get back in the game whenever and wherever you want. Its great to have you back.

Susan Reid Burnett I am so happy you are back running with your SistaZ. You have been sorely missed and I really appreciate you getting out there yesterday and running with the ladies. As always, you make our races and post race parties the best. Always smiling, always ready, always a great friend. We love you, Susan.

Thank you Tracey Mahoney for all the cheering and picture taking. A big thank you to the Keith and Nicole Coutu, and Bill Mahoney as well. Gary Tracey, as always, it was a pleasure to see you out on the course with the kidlings. Having you all at various points during the race made our time out there that much better. I know I picked up the pace after I saw you all. You are wonderful friends and we couldn't have crossed that finish line without your support. And we are ready to do the same for all of you when the time comes.

Our last race is this Sunday. Please send me an e-mail to let me know if you plan to attend. The race will be held in Scituate Mass and we are running in memory of Susan Burnett's sister-in-law, Kathy. We are taking up a collection to make a donation in Kathy's name, so if you would like to contribute, please let me know.

We will be on hiatus for training until further notice. Enjoy your time off.

Joyce

1 comment:

  1. Hats off to our fearless leader! Yes, you Joyce!! :-) You should be VERY proud of your race yesterday, and thank you for ALWAYS leading us, no matter what! We are lucky to have you behind us all! You too are a great friend, and I know that I speak for EVERY Sole Sista when I say a HUGE "THANK YOU!!"

    ReplyDelete