Sunday, April 5, 2009

Coffee talk 4/05/09

Pour your coffee and settle in, coffee talk is about to begin...



Sorry for the delay in blogging. I was having major computer issues last week, so much so that Alan took my computer in for repair (gasp!) and I was incommunicado for a couple of days. I still don't think the thing is working right, but who am I to complain? My idea of repair is "Control, Alt, Delete." When in doubt, reboot.



There are a couple of things I would like to share with everyone. First, Jill Levin, one of our newbies, ran her second 5K last Saturday and shaved about 3 minutes off her time from the St. Patrick's Day race. A huge accomplishment to say the least and all within 7 days. Jill has been dedicated to her training these last few months and apparently its paying off. She is one of the nicest people to know and a lot of fun to be around. I'm looking forward to seeing you at the Cox race, Jill. You are going to be outstanding.



Lori-Kiley Garcia, another newbie, walk/ran 4 miles on Saturday with an average 2 minute walk/5 minute run. Lori, I knew once you got out there there would be no stopping you. I am thrilled to know that you are planning to join our party train on Sunday, May 3. And a party it will be. Congratulations, Lori. You are going to be terrific.

Jill Lifrak and Cherylynn Brownbeck are both running the Providence Marathon on May 3. That's right--the full marathon. These girls are going to need us on the beaten path with water, non-stop cheering and maybe even some company. They are training so hard right now and getting ready to peak in their training. This is the toughest time. Jill and Cherylynn, if there is anything you need, you let us know. Both ladies are fantastic runners and deserve a huge pat on the back for this undertaking. We are there if you neeed us!

We need one additional person to run the full in order to be a team. If we don't fill the spot, then we simply drop the team idea but everyone will still race that day only it will be individually. I just want to remind everyone how well we did in the St. Patrick's Day race. Although we had Steve's bionic time, we were still competitive within our category. This race is a bit different. I don't really feel the times are important, its more the idea that all of us are there for each other. If you still need to register, please do so under "sole sisters -" (don't forget the dash) password is 111500. If you have any questions about registering and/or the race that day, please don't hesitate to ask. We still need a number of 5K runners as well so please don't feel that you need to bite off more than you can chew.

I have added another race to the list, The Scituate Fire Fighters Road Race which will be held on Mother's Day this year, Sunday, May 10. Sole Sisters is dedicating this race to Kathy Brown, Susan Burnett's sister-in-law, who passed away in January of this year from cancer, and we will run in her memory. For those of you who can make it, I can promise you that it is a really fun race that you will thoroughly enjoy. I would encourage you to bring the family. The ride is a little less than an hour and the race doesn't begin until 10:00. I am planning to collect donations of loose change at each of my classes until race day. There will be jar available for your deposits so please bring your change if you happen to think of it. Sole Sisters will be making a donation to cancer research in Kathy's name. This is a collective effort regardless of what you can give, or if you can even give. Times are tough and I thought this would be the easist way for people to donate if they so choose.

The ALS race is taking place on April 25. I do plan to run this race, and I know of a few others who are going to as well. If you have not signed up, I would encourage you to do so.

Reminder: Annual banquet will be held on Friday, May 15 venue to be determined.

That's all for now.

Keep on keepin' on...

Joyce

No comments:

Post a Comment